Know Before You Go

International Border Crossings Between the U.S. + Canada


International Border Crossings Crossing the United States/Canada Border

Crossing the United States/Canada Border

Our friends to the north: Montana and Canada share 13 active border crossings in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. For information on individual border crossings, like border wait time between Montana and Canada, along with each port's hours of operation, visit

COVID-19 Information


As of April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada by land, air or water. Read more here. Foreign nationals who don't qualify as fully vaccinated will only be allowed to enter in specific circumstances: Find out if you can enter Canada.


U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) currently allows fully COVID-19 vaccinated international travelers to enter the United States for any reason. All travelers entering the U.S. must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated. COVID-19 testing is no longer required for travelers entering by land but is required for those arriving by air.

  • Upon arrival, you will be asked to verbally attest to your COVID-19 vaccination status along with proof of a CDC-approved COVID-19 vaccination.
  • Travelers who enter the United States at land POEs and ferry terminals do not require proof of a negative test; in addition, U.S. citizens and LPRs do not need to provide proof of vaccination status at land POEs and ferry terminals.
  • A foreign visitor flying into the U.S. from Canada will need to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. In addition, air travelers will continue to be required to show the results of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 24 hours of departure. You will not be allowed to board your flight if you have not completed the PCR COVID-19 testing requirement described here.
  • All of these requirements will be checked by the airline at the gate, and you will not be allowed to get on the plane if you do not meet them.
  • All air passengers to the United States are required to provide contact information to airlines before boarding flights to the United States.
  • Provide all of the normal required documentation for entry to the country plus any other relevant documents requested by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer during a border inspection.

The following is a list of the vaccines approved by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or by the World Health Organization (WHO).


Although the state of Montana does not require masks, face coverings are still required on public transit. There may also be tribe-specific orders on American Indian reservations. Individual businesses throughout the region may require and enforce mask wearing in indoor public spaces—please respect their right to do so.


When crossing the border, a current passport is required for all travelers. If you are crossing the border with minors, be sure to have notarized travel permission letters from their parents or legal guardians. If you are traveling solo with your children, be sure to bring a note of permission from the other parent. United States citizens under the age of 16 may use their birth certificate or naturalization certificate for travel between the United States and Canada.

For more information on Canada border crossings, visit For information on traveling to the United States, visit

There's This Place Where Every Trail is Worth the Trek

Three rivers and seven wilderness areas meet in Missoula, Montana, a small town with enormous personality. Visit Missoula and experience it for yourself.

Map of Montana's Border Crossings.

*Crossing only available by Waterton Lake boat tour or hiking trails.
**Crossing closes at the end of September and reopens mid-May.

Recreate Responsibly Plan Ahead, Play it Safe, and Leave No Trace.
News from Glacier National Park Currently, 21.7 miles of the Going-to-the-Sun Road are open for travel.

Connect With Glacier Country

Western Montana Fruitful Summers + Farmers Markets

Read more

Guided Summer Activities in Western Montana

Read more

Western Montana Summer Events

Read more

Call for expert help


Start Planning Your Trip