At the base of the majestic Mission Mountains on the Flathead Indian Reservation, St. Ignatius is home to the St. Ignatius Mission. A National Historic Site, the mission was built in 1891 by American Indians and Jesuit missionaries. Adorning the mission's walls and ceiling are 58 hand-painted murals by Brother Joseph Carignano—a self-taught artist who worked as the mission cook and handyman years ago. Also nearby: Three Chiefs Culture Center, Museum and Gift Shop, the Mission Mountains Wilderness, stellar rock climbing, McDonald Lake and the National Bison Range.
Salish Name: Snyel̓mn
Meaning: “Place Where Something is Surrounded”
Don’t miss the Mission General Store, where you’ll find a little bit of everything—from a deli, gourmet pickled items, canned goods and huckleberry ice cream to rockers, clocks and cookbooks. This Amish deli is owned by the only Amish community in the United States located on tribal lands.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
2 months ago
Crews are coming closer to the end of the US 2 – Hungry Horse to Stanton Creek work for this season. Except continu… https://t.co/8p0qKWIRly